Talented writers from across the world can now apply for the Iceland Writers Retreat April 2019 programme. There are two categories of applications:
- Those who can fund themselves partially
- Those who desire a full scholarship
Partial funding means you will sponsor your own accommodation and flights while the organisers take responsibility for the rest. The scholarship funding for the retreat includes a return ticket, accommodation, meals, tours and workshops for all the five days.
To be considered for the scholarship, a writer should demonstrate that s/he does not have the financial means to participate in the retreat in Reykjavik.
You do not need to be a professional writer (that is it is not a must that you should have been published before) in order to apply. However you should show a seriousness towards the craft and be eager to learn in developing skills and contacts. You will therefore be required to take part in small group projects.
You are required to provide the following:
- A brief statement about who you are (your background, goals and professional experience.)
- A brief statement about why you should be at the retreat.
- An explanation about your financial status to help the judges evaluate whether you qualify. You should clearly show why you need the financial assistance.
- Statement of whether you have applied for funding from sources other than Iceland Writers Retreat in relation to the programme.
- A statement promising availability for media interviews before and after, and how you will share your experience with others after the programme.
- Two samples of your writing to an extent of 1000 words each. The samples might or might not have been published.
- Two references from those who have interacted with your writing, not including family members. Tailor your references specifically for the retreat to increase your chances of winning.
Ensure you send your application once, including the references, not separately as that is not accepted.
Deadline: Wednesday 31 October
Application fee: Free
About the Iceland Writers Retreat
The 2019 Iceland Writers Retreat will be the fifth edition of the retreat. Held for the first time in April 2014, the Iceland Writers Retreat is an event comprised of a series of small-group writing workshops and cultural tours designed to introduce participants to Iceland’s rich literary heritage. Faculty in 2019 include Emma Straub, Louis de Bernieres, Ivan Coyote, Priya Basil, and Chigozie Obioma. The Iceland Writers Retreat was named one of the world’s best writers’ retreats by the Sydney Morning Herald, and one of the top 10 events to travel for in 2014 by Four Seasons Magazine.