Farafina literary imprint based in Yaba-Lagos, Nigeria is accepting submissions for works of fiction from across the continent. The submission window closes on 31st March 2018.
The imprint, owned by Kachifo Ltd, has published some of the biggest influencers in the world of literature including Ellen-Banda Aaku, Lesley Nneka Arimah, Nnedi Okorafor, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Yewande Omotoso and Tendai Huchu among others.
It was here that Chimamanda first got her footing in the literary world with the 2004 publication of Purple Hibiscus. The stable continues to give new writers a space for self-actualization as well as giving established writers an alternative approach to contemporary literature.
“African ideas and identities were being defined outside the continent particularly from Europe and America and so we decided to create a platform for African writers to present their own ideas to the rest of the world.”
- Send a three-chapter excerpt or 10,000 words of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submission is strictly by email.
- A one-page synopsis of the work and a short bio of yourself.
- The author bio should be in the body of the email.
- The subject of your manuscript should clearly be marked by title of your manuscript followed by ‘Submission’.
- The submission should not be poetry or non-fiction.
- Double-spaced, left-justified only, 12pt Serif font.
- The publisher’s preferred font is Courier New.
Farafina promises to acknowledge your manuscript submission, and in case yours is the lucky one for further evaluation, they will respond within eight weeks after close of submission. Wasomi wishes you all the best. For more information, check the publisher’s website here.